Social Security disability benefits are awarded to individuals who are unable to work for a variety of reasons. Recently, the Social Security Administration has awarded more benefits to older applicants at the expense of younger but equally qualified ones. In the absence of a catastrophic injury such as a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury, this makes it very difficult for individuals less than 50 years of age to receive Social Security disability benefits, especially without legal assistance. Orlando Social Security lawyer, Frank Eidson is an experienced attorney who helps people in central Florida obtain the disability benefits they need quickly so they can return to living a productive life.
Eligibility for Social Security Disability Benefits
In general, you must be both medically and financially eligible to qualify for disability benefits through Social Security:
- Medical Eligibility — You must show the Social Security Administration that you have a condition that will prevent you from working for at least one year, or that the condition is terminal.
- Financial Eligibility — You must show the Social Security Administration that you have a financial need, or that you have worked and paid Social Security taxes for a specific amount of time, depending on your age.
It is important to keep information regarding your disability, including all medical records, to help show the Social Security Administration that you are eligible for benefits. In addition to your disability, the Administration will consider your age, past work experience, education, transferable skills, and your ability to do the type of work you did before you became disabled.
If you are disabled and are unable to provide for yourself or your family, you need help from an Orlando Social Security lawyer. We can help you obtain the benefits you need. We will start by helping you collect the information needed to build a strong case. You can count on the expertise of our Social Security attorney. Frank Eidson has helped individuals in Orlando, Winter Park, and throughout Central Florida to obtain the benefits they need and deserve.
Types of Social Security Disability Benefits
There are several types of disability benefits available through Social Security:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) – SSDI pays benefits to you or family members if you have worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
- Social Security Income (SSI) – SSI pays benefits to individuals based on financial need, regardless of work history or the amount of taxes paid.
- Disability Benefits for Widows/Widowers – Death benefits are provided to widows or widowers with a disability who are between the ages of 50 and 60, as long as the disability started before or within seven years of the death of the spouse.
If you have any questions about disability benefits, visit our Social Security disability frequently asked questions page, or contact our offices for expert advice from our Social Security attorney. To help understand the difference between SSI versus SSDI, please visit this resource page from The Finity Law Firm.
Appealing a Social Security Disability Denial
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for Social Security disability filings to be denied, or for the Social Security Administration to stop paying benefits if they decide that you are no longer disabled. If your claim has been denied, you have the right to have your case reconsidered by the Social Security Administration within 60 days of the denial. If your application is denied again, your case will be heard before a judge. Orlando Social Security lawyer, Frank M. Eidson, can help you obtain the necessary medical documentation to support your claim if it has been denied, and if it comes to a hearing, he will appear in court to represent your case.
Contact Our Experienced Orlando Social Security Disability Lawyer for Assistance
Although you can apply for disability benefits on your own, a social security disability attorney who knows the process can help you to navigate the often confusing government bureaucracy in order to receive your benefits as quickly as possible. Contact the firm of Frank M. Eidson, P.A., for assistance with your Social Security disability claim. Mr. Eidson has experience as an Orlando Social Security lawyer and has helped residents in Winter Park, Melbourne, and Central Florida to successfully pursue their disability claims. He can help you collect necessary information and build a strong case to show the Social Security Administration that you deserve disability benefits.