Orlando DUI Lawyer
A drunk driving accident is no innocent mistake. It happens when a driver makes a deliberate choice to get behind the wheel after having too much to drink, knowing full well that others will be exposed to danger. That driver – and, in some cases, those who have employed or served alcohol to the driver – can and should be held fully accountable for any losses the driver causes in a crash.
Orlando DUI lawyer, Frank M. Eidson, is passionate about securing just compensation for the victims of drunk driving accidents and the families of those killed by alcohol-impaired drivers.
If you have suffered harm due to a drunk driver in Orlando, Winter Park or elsewhere in Florida, contact Frank M. Eidson, P.A., today to learn more about your rights and how we can help you.
Why Can Drunk Drivers Be Held Liable in Florida?
Drunk driving is illegal in Florida. A driver is guilty of driving under the influence (DUI) if he or she has consumed enough alcohol to have a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08 or higher, or if the driver’s “normal faculties” are impaired to a point that a driver lacks the ability to control a vehicle.
Any driver who has operated a motor vehicle in such a condition has clearly failed to act as a reasonable person would. This is why the driver should be held liable if the driver causes an auto accident that injures or kills another motorist, pedestrian or passenger within his or her vehicle.
In fact, drunk driving reflects such a reckless disregard for the safety of others that it may serve as the basis of a punitive damages claim. These damages may be awarded in Florida in addition to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. Punitive damages do not compensate but instead serve to deter and punish reckless conduct.
Who Else Can Held Liable for an Orlando Drunk Driving Accident?
When a drunk driver causes an accident, the driver may not be the only who is held liable in a personal injury or wrongful death claim. The primary goal of Orlando DUI attorney, Frank M. Eidson, will be to identify any parties in your case who should be held accountable in addition to the drunk driver
These parties may include:
- The driver’s employer – Under Florida law, an employer can be held legally responsible if an employee causes a crash while acting in the course and scope of his or her employment. A truck driver, for instance, may cause a crash while making a delivery. If the driver was impaired by alcohol, the trucking company could be sued.
- The bar or restaurant who served the driver – If a bar, restaurant or store furnishes alcohol to a driver under age 21 or one the seller knows to be a habitual drunkard, and that driver in turn causes an accident, the establishment can be held liable under Florida’s “dram shop” laws.
- The “social host” that furnished alcohol to driver – Dram shop laws are not limited to bars and restaurants. Private individuals who provide alcohol to minors or habitual drunkards who cause accidents can be sued as well.
Also, if you are a passenger in a vehicle driven by a drunk driver, you may have the right to pursue a claim if you are injured in the crash that the driver causes.
Our Approach to Florida DUI Accident Cases
The Orlando law firm of Frank M. Eidson, P.A., has recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients injured in car accidents, including those caused by driving under the influence.
Attorney Frank M. Eidson will personally investigate your case, including:
- Analyzing arrest reports, breath and/or blood tests
- Research the driver’s record, including prior DUI arrests or crashes
- Reviewing guilty pleas or transcripts from jury trials
- Interviewing police officers or other witnesses
- Compiling receipts showing when and where a driver purchased alcohol
- Combing through other evidence such as social media postings
- Consulting with experts about the cause of an accident and how it is has impacted you physically, emotionally and financially.
Our goal is to reach a settlement with the drunk driver’s insurance company. However, if needed, our firm will be ready to go to court on your behalf.
Contact an Orlando Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you have been seriously injured in car accident in which alcohol consumption was a factor, attorney Frank M. Eidson can help you to pursue the compensation you need to recover and move forward with your life. Our firm serves clients in Orlando, Winter Park and across the state of Florida. Our consultations are always free. To learn more, simply contact us today by phone or online.