A free case consultation is an initial meeting with an attorney that many personal injury lawyers offer, including Orlando personal injury attorney Frank M. Eidson.
The meeting should be offered without any charge or obligation, and it should give both you and the lawyer an opportunity to meet one another, discuss important steps in the personal injury process and determine whether you have a strong case.
The following is a summary of what you can expect in a free consultation.
Questions You Should Ask During a Free Consultation
One of the most important purposes of a free case consultation is to give you an opportunity to consult with your personal injury lawyer and learn as much as possible about the attorney, law firm and your case.
For this reason, it is essential that you arrive at your free case consultation prepared with a list of questions that you have for the attorney.
Some important questions to ask include:
- What is your rate of success? It is important that you ask the attorney what his or her rate of success is in cases like yours. Ask the attorney if there are any reviews or client testimonies that you can read that attest to this. You want to hire an attorney who has a record of recovering compensation on clients’ behalf.
- Are there any types of law in which you focus? Many attorneys focus on particular areas of personal injury law. For instance, some lawyers concentrate on medical malpractice, while others focus on handling car accident cases. You want to work with an attorney who has experience with handling cases that are similar to your case.
- How long will the claims process take? The claims process can be very lengthy in many cases, especially when fault is contested or when injuries are serious. Be wary if an attorney promises you that your case will be completely resolved and that you will have hundreds of thousands of dollars within a matter of weeks. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- How much do you charge? Make sure you ask the attorney how – and how much – he or she charges for legal services that will be provided. Ultimately, you want to find an arrangement that will allow you to get the legal help you need. At Frank M. Eidson, P.A., we work on a contingency fee basis. This means our pay is contingent on your case being successful. If you do not receive any money, neither do we. See the definition of a contingent fee by the Legal Information Institute for more information about this type of fee arrangement.
- What will I need to do during the process? Ask questions about what will be expected of you during the process. You will probably need to do things like gather evidence, keep thorough documentation of any medical bills or treatment, provide a statement and may even need to testify before a court. The more that you know about the process, the better prepared you will be both in making the decision to pursue a claim and at different points in the claims process.
Questions You May Need to Answer During a Free Case Consultation
In addition to asking the attorney as many questions as possible during a consultation, you should also be prepared to answer questions that the attorney has for you. These questions could cover topics such as:
- How did your accident happen?
- Who was involved in the accident?
- What damages and injuries have you suffered?
- When did your accident happen?
- Who do you believe is at fault?
Some of these questions may feel intimate or intimidating, but it is important that you answer the questions as accurately and thoroughly as possible. The information collected by an attorney during a free case consultation about your claim will form the basis of the attorney’s opinion about your case.
Further, you should know that everything that you say to an attorney during an initial case consultation is 100 percent confidential. It does not obligate you to work with the attorney moving forward.
What You Will Learn During a Consultation with a Lawyer
During a consultation with an Orlando personal injury lawyer, you will also learn important information. For example, the attorney should provide you with information about how to pay your bills while your case is pending, the stages of a lawsuit and what you should expect at each stage.
You may be wondering, “Do I have a case?” The attorney should do his or her best job to answer this question and help you to make an informed decision about whether to move forward with your claim.
Are There Any Downsides to a Personal Injury Consultation?
In short: no. There are no downsides to seeking a personal injury consultation. Instead, a personal injury consultation is a free and no-obligation way to learn about your rights after being involved in an accident.
You can also learn about how to recover compensation and what you will need to know along the way.
Additionally, you have the right to walk away from the consultation at any time without any consequences and with your confidentiality remaining protected.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation Today
If you have been in a car accident or suffered an injury in another accident type, you should pursue a free consultation with an Orlando car accident lawyer.
At Frank M. Eidson, P.A., your consultation with our law firm is always free and carries no obligations. We are here to serve you and provide you with answers to any questions that you may have as well as to provide pertinent information about filing a personal injury claim.
If you are ready to get started with the process of seeking just compensation for your injuries today, do not wait any longer. Use our online form to contact us and schedule your consultation now or call us today to get started.