How to Recover Car Damages with an Attorney

Driving is a cost-effective and convenient mode of transportation, but it can also be surprisingly risky. In the U.S. alone, over 37,000 people die as a result of car accidents each year, with an additional 2.35 million people being injured or left disabled¹.

In addition to personal injury, people who are involved in a car accident will find that their vehicle sustains some degree of damage. This is known as property damage and occurs in almost every motor vehicle accident, even those where no one has sustained an injury.

Many drivers spend a significant amount of their hard-earned salary on their vehicle, but whether your car is worth $200 or $200,000, it will almost certainly require repair or in some cases, total replacement. There may also have been property inside the vehicle which has been damaged, such as electronic or sports equipment.

If the accident was not your fault, you should not be liable for the costs involved. Instead, you may be eligible for compensation for the property damages you have incurred, due to the negligence of another party.

Using an attorney to recover damages for a car accident

Filing a property damage claim can be confusing and overwhelming, particularly if this is the first time you have been involved in a motor accident that wasn’t your fault.

For this reason, many people choose to enlist the assistance of an attorney who is experienced in managing and resolving vehicle accident claims for property damage.

Attorneys who have experience in this area will be familiar with the local laws governing the recovery of property damages from an auto accident, and have the knowledge and expertise to help you achieve the maximum compensation for your accident.

Filing a property damage claim

The first thing that your attorney will do is get in contact with the negligent driver’s insurance company to file your claim.

If the driver that caused the accident is uninsured, or if their insurance fails to adequately compensate you for the damage incurred, then you will have two options. These are:

  • File a claim with your own insurance company
  • File a personal injury lawsuit

Experienced Orlando attorney, Frank Eidson will be able to advise you on how best to proceed with your claim in order to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.

How long after my car accident do I have to file for damages?

Florida has a statute of limitations of 4 years to file for car damages. Although this may seem like a long time, the process to successfully receive damages can often take longer than anticipated, especially if you try to pursue your claim without the assistance of an attorney.

​​​​​​​We highly recommend contacting an experienced attorney to expedite your claim, so you can quickly overcome the inconveniences of your car accident. If you have suffered car damages as a result of a motor vehicle accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Frank Eidson, our experienced, knowledgeable attorney, would be delighted to make your claim on your behalf, and help you achieve the settlement that you deserve.


Frank M. Eidson P.A. has been tirelessly representing the rights of Central Florida victims since 1989.

$4.2 Million

Auto Accident

$2.3 Million

Workers Comp Case

$5.65 Million

Auto Accident

Free, No Obligation Case Review.

Fill out our contact form below for your free, no obligation case review.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Help provide wounded servicemen and women with therapeutic outdoor adventures. Like our Facebook page and we'll contribute $1 to Wounded Warriors Outdoors.

Contact Our Orlando Attorney

If you have been injured in an accident, turn to Frank M. Eidson P.A. Whether your case is a simple collision or a complicated auto wrongful death case, contact personal injury lawyer Frank Eidson today to schedule your free consultation.