As millions of Floridians prepare to hit the road this weekend for a Memorial Day getaway, travel on the roadways can become quite hectic. With so many people behind the wheel, there is an increased risk for auto accidents. In fact, according to a Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles report, in 2009, there were 22 fatalities as a result of major car crashes on Memorial Day weekend.
Regardless of where you are traveling or how long you’ll be in the car, there are measures on you can take to ensure you arrive safely at your destination and enjoy a fun-filled weekend:
– Do NOT text and drive. Texting while driving is one of the leading causes of distracted driving
– Remember to keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you
– ALWAYS wear your seatbelt
– Lawfully obey traffic laws and be cautious when driving
– Make an effort to avoid “peak” travel hours and opt for driving when the roads aren’t as busy
– Do NOT drink and drive. Instead, opt for a designated driver
Be safe, have fun, make memories and be responsible. If you are involved in any type of car accident this weekend, make sure to handle the situation accordingly by protecting yourself, your family and others on the road. Should you need to contact an auto accident attorney, we are here to help handle your case.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend!